Friday, October 22, 2010

Decisions = Stress

            Monday October 13, 2010 was a class I will not forget. The only other classes that have put me through that many emotions have been acting classes. Discovering I failed a test and then being thrown into making a decision with forty strangers in thirty minutes was if anything emotional.
It was very interesting what I went through, and what I observed about others. When El Profesor stepped back, and put us to the task of fixing our test grade I felt overwhelmed. For me not having a leader was difficult, but the lack of information was heartbreaking. Those two conflicts stunned me. I sat and waited hoping something would happen even though I was someone who desperately needed my test fixed. Things seemed to change for me, and the class as we gained leaders and gained the knowledge of curve. At that point I felt and saw in others confidence over control over our grade, and it pulled me somewhat out of that avoidance mood. Yet when we gained the curve again I found I was timid. My brain was saying “just take the curve and move on” yet the others pushed harder and I benefited.
In retrospect I wonder if I was avoiding the decision because of guilt. I knew I did not study hard enough, and therefore dissevered my failing grade. The curve is a gift of a grade that I have no business having. I feel this is why I offered only one idea, and even that was for the extra credit assignment to be about ethics.

The decision about the next test formatting was very interesting in other ways. This had the conflicts of communication and goal differences. I feel I fell into the realm of accommodation mainly because the two girls in the center of the room were really competing to win over the “Essay issue”. The two really need the test to be different, and in my mind that made there needs greater than my own. Yet, I also felt my behavior fell into the compromise realm. When the argument over the essay grew stagnate. I stood up and brought up some points on my concept of a fairness in test take. I don’t know if it resolved any issues, but it perhaps eased the tension between the two sides.

5 comments:

  1. Having taken an acting class myself, I have to agree that this was pretty nerve-wracking. Like you, I felt more at ease as the leaders began to emerge and guide us through the process. They really did a good job of recognizing when ideas were universally accepted or up for debate, and worked hard to make sure that everyone was on the same page. Letting everyone have a chance to speak really helped ease the tensions as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "For me not having a leader was difficult, but the lack of information was heartbreaking". I experienced the same. It would be less stress and able to come up with well considered decision if we had a leader and he provided some sort of information.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This process was a little fustrating at times because it wasn't as organized as it should've been. But thats expected when its a alot of people and even more when it involves grades.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really liked your thoughts on the exam structure and I think you did a good job convincing the rest of the class. ( I think it was about keeping the same structure?) To me, your argument made perfect sense!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Kevin, I like that fact that you are honest about feeling guilty. Not alot of people would have admitted that they didn't study hard enough.

    ReplyDelete